Jack Crager is a New York–based freelance writer and editor. He has covered photography and related subjects for more than two decades, as contributing editor to PopPhoto and as managing editor of AmericanPHOTO. He lives on Manhattan’s Upper West Side with his wife, daughter, and dog. In his spare time, he writes songs and performs with virtual bands the Podunks and J Catz.
- Chronicler of subjects including people, visual arts, music, environment, sports & fitness
- Experienced editor and project manager of web and print content
- Clients include Common Edge, Graphis, PDN, Rangefinder, New York Road Runners
Jack Crager first covered professional photography as editor of Graphis magazine and later as longtime managing editor of American Photo. He has profiled many renowned artists: photojournalists such as James Nachtwey, Lynsey Addario, and Steve McCurry; environmentalists like Art Wolfe, James Balog, and Richard Misrach; music personalities including Graham Nash, Lou Reed, and Pattie Boyd. As a contributor to Popular Photography and other industry publications, he has documented photo trends, photo gear, photo books and exhibitions, and photo techniques. During the pandemic, he has published a blog, The Out There Side, and contributed to the music publication The Riff.
Crager has served as a jurist for photography competitions including the Maine Photographic Workshops, and given talks about photo events at venues such as New York’s 92nd Street Y. For many years he’s joined the international press corps at PHotoEspaña in Madrid.
Jack Crager attended the University of Texas at Austin, earning a Bachelor of Arts in English (with Special Honors) and a Bachelor of Journalism. There he held staff positions at The Daily Texan newspaper and UTmost magazine.
Favorite photography subject
The people who create great images—their motivations, artistic goals, and methods.
- My 15-Minute City: Upper West Side, New York City Common Edge
- Never Just Let It Be: Five Magic Outtakes from the Beatles’ Swan Song Medium
- The Frick’s New Digs: A Historic Collection Meets Breuer's Whitney Common Edige
- Confessions of an Aging Dreamer Medium
- During a Lockdown, What Is “Essential”? Common Edge
- Portfolio Jack Crager