This morning in San Diego Sony announced a new camera and major firmware upgrades coming this spring.
Here is what we know about it so far:
- 0.02 sec AF speed, the world’s fastest (though this stat isn’t necessarily representative of how the AF will perform in the real world.)
- Newly developed Real-time Tracking
- Enhanced Real-time Eye AF
- Eye AF tracking for animals (coming later this year via Firmware update)
- 4K movies with Advanced AF speed and stability
- 11fps continuous shooting with AF/AE tracking
- Latest generation BIONZ X offers 24.2 MP image quality
- 4K HDR movie recording
- 180-degree articulated touch screen
- Interval recording for time-lapse movie
- ISO range of 100-32000
- Available February for $900 USD (body only)
Current a9 users will have to wait until March and Summer 2019 for the firmware upgrades to take full effect, but the upgrades look like they will be big game changers that utilize AI technology.
Here is what is on its way:
- Real-time eye tracking AF for animals
- Real-time tracking using a new subject recognition technology that also works in video
The aRii and a7iii will also see firmware upgrades coming in April 2019.
Here is what those will be:
- Real-time eye AF for animals
- Interval shooting for time-lapse movies
We’ll be spending some time shooting with the a6400 in the next few days and will be sharing our initial thoughts on this new camera very soon.