Two rounds of new firmware will not just bring additional lens compatability, but also some major new features
In addition to announcing its most affordable ILC yet, Fujifilm also unveiled new firmware for other X-Mount cameras, some of which is available immediately, and some bigger features (including focus peaking) to arrive next month.
Starting today, X-Pro1 and X-E1 shooters can download new firmware that adds compatability for lenses that lack the aperture ring, like the new XF27MM F/2.8 Compact prime lens. Here's the official description of the new tools:
FUJIFILM X-Pro1 Ver.2.05, FUJIFILM X-E1 Ver.1.06
1) Additional functionality to allow “one-handed” camera operation
a) A 'Focus Frame Selection' option has been added to the 'Fn' (function) button. This offers easier/quicker operation when setting the Focus Frame Selection using only your right hand.
b) A second 'Fn' style functionality can be allocated to the selector “down” button This enables you to allocate a function to the selector “down” button. The default setting is 'Focus Frame Selection' but this can be changed to whatever suits your shooting style.
2) Enable aperture control for the lens without an aperture ring (XF27mmF2.8 / XC16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS) If you are using either of the above lenses which do not feature aperture ring, this firmware update allows you to adjust the aperture setting by using the command dial.
But come July 23rd, there's an even larger update, which brings focus peaking to Fujifilm's cameras. Focus peaking has found substantial success with Sony's NEX line of cameras, and allows for more efficient manual focus on an LCD screen.
FUJIFILM X-Pro1 Ver.3.00, FUJIFILM X-E1 Ver.2.00
1) Improvement of AF speed Improves AF speed on all existing XF lenses, thanks to the updated algorithm throughout the full range of focal length. Lenses covered: XF14mmF2.8 R / XF18mmF2 R / XF35mmF1.4 R / XF60mmF2.4 R Macro / XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS ＜NOTE＞ The AF Speed on the XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS lens has been already optimized. For all lenses other than the XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS, the firmware for each lens must be also updated.
2) 'Focus Peak Highlight' function for manual focusing The 'Focus Peak Highlight' function, which features on the X100S and X20 cameras and was well accepted, has been added via this firmware update. It assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.
3) Improvement in 'Checking Focus' operation: how to change magnification ratio in manual focusing The process to check focus by selecting a 3x or 10x manual focus magnification has improved. Just press and rotate the dial right or left and the camera will alternate magnification by 3x and then 10x , whichever way you turn it.
It's very heartening to see Fujifilm bring substantial new features to its camera over firmware update. Boosting AF speed and adding focus peaking are non-trivial additions, and should make users very happy. Now we're just waiting for Olympus to do the same, and bring the focus peaking from the E-P5 to other cameras, too.