Olympus announces OM-D E-M1 Mark III and more
Plus the PEN E-PL10 and a new lens.
Early this morning Olympus announced the OM-D E-M1 Mark III, a Micro Four Thirds camera with a 20-megapixel sensor aimed at sports and action shooters. It’s the third iteration of the camera and it features a new image processing engine which Olympus is called TruePic IX. Like most Olympus cameras it has a dustproof, splashproof and freezeproof build, making it great for shooting in rugged outdoor conditions. Here is what else we know about it:
- Handheld high-res shot mode stitches together 16 photos to create a single 50-megapixel image
- 121 cross-type autofocus points use learning-based subject recognition for starry skies and face and eye
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization provides up to 7.5 shutter speed steps
- Up to 60fps RAW + JPEG capture
- Pro Capture mode records frames right before you fire the shutter
- Live MD multi-shot mode simulates the effects you would get with ND filters
- 2.36M-dot LCD viewfinder
- Dual SD card slots
- Articulating touchscreen
- Video capture: UHD 4k/30p video and DCI 24p
- A dust reduction system helps keep the image sensor free of particles thanks to a Super-Sonic Wave Filter that vibrates the sensor at 30,000 per second
- Dust resistant coating carries over from the OM-D E-M1X
- USB charging
- Available February 24 body only for $1800, for $2500 bundled with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm F2.8 PRO Lens, or $2900 bundled with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100 F4.0 IS PRO Lens
This camera is inspired by the classic style of the 1963 Pen-F and is finally available in North America. Olympus
Olympus also announced that the entry-level PEN E-PL 10 is now available in North America. The Micro Four Thirds camera is inspired by the classic style of the 1963 Pen-F and features a True Pic VIII Image Processor, a pop-up flash and a 180-degree flip-down touchscreen. It comes in three colors: white, black, and mocha and according to Olympus is lighter than a 16oz bottle of water. The camera features 3-axis in-body image stabilization and can shoot UHD 4K/30p video. The PEN E-PL 10 is available now for $600 body only or $700 when bundled with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Lens.
This medium range zoom (35mm equivalent would be a 24-90mm) is only 2.8 inches long making it a super compact piece of glass. Olympus
There is a new M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-45mm F4.0 PRO lens on the way too. The medium range zoom (35mm equivalent would be a 24-90mm) is only 2.8 inches long making it a super compact dustproof, splashproof and freezeproof piece of glass. It is made up of 12 elements including a high-refractive, a super-high-refractive, a dual super-aspheric, and an extra-low dispersion piece of glass. The front coating reduces flare, ghosting and chromatic aberrations. It has a maximum magnification of 0.5x and a close focusing capability of 4.7 inches. The lens will be available in April for $650.