Sony’s new FE 35mm F1.8 is a super fast and super light prime lens
This speedy lens will be a welcome addition for many shooters.
This morning Sony announced the newest addition to its line of E-mount full-frame lenses with the FE 35mm F1.8 prime. The large-aperture, fixed focal length lens is an appealing option for APS-C and full-frame shooters, in part because it only weighs 280 grams and has a 73mm length—substantially smaller than the other 35mm primes designed for Sony’s cameras.
Here is what else we know about it:
- 11 elements in 9 groups, including an aspherical lens to eliminate chromatic aberrations
- 9 blade circular aperture for pleasing bokeh
- Internal focusing mechanisms minimize focus breathing
- Linear-motor AF drive system makes focus quiet and fast
- Minimum focusing distance of 0.22m
- Magnification of 0.24x
- Dust and moisture resistant construction
- Aluminum exterior
- Customizable focus hold button
- Available August 2019 for $750
The small size and reasonable price point for this new lens make it an excellent option for photographers who are looking to make the jump into shooting with a fixed-focal-length lens. And the 35mm prime is a versatile choice, excellent for shooting portraits, events, street photography, photojournalism, and sports photography.
We got a chance to spend a bit of time shooting with the lens prior to the announcement. Stay tuned for our first impressions with this new lens and a sample image gallery.