Nikon has a new 85mm f/1.8 S lens on the way for the Z series mirrorless cameras—a classic length for portrait shooters, wedding photographers, and fashion shooters. Nikon says the new lens will offer edge-to-edge sharpness and beautiful bokeh. Here is everything we know about it:
- 12 elements in 8 groups, including two ED elements to minimize lens aberration
- Nano crystal coating to cut down on ghosting and flare
- 9 blade rounded aperture
- Features a customizable control ring
- Compatible with in body 5-axis VR found in the Z 6 and Z 7 camera bodies
- Dust and moisture resistant construction.
- Minimum focusing distance of 2.6 feet
- 3.9 inches long
- Weighs 1.03 pounds
- Available September 2019 For $800
This fast telephoto prime seems like it will be an intriguing choice for Nikon Z shooters working in low light situations for both video and stills. When paired with the recently-added Eye-Detection autofocus it should be an impressive choice for shallow depth of field portraits as well. The release of quality lenses like this one make the option of switching to mirrorless more appealing to working pros.