Fujifilm announces new large-sensor compact camera and 5 X-series lenses
A high-end point and shoot and an array of focal lengths are coming soon.
Last week Fujifilm announced a range of new products including a compact camera, new XF lenses and a roadmap of X-mount lenses currently in development. Here’s a rundown of all the new gear.
This pocket sized camera is built around a 24.2 megapixel APS-C sized sensor. Fujifilm
The XF10 is an APS-C compact camera with a fixed FUJINON 18.5mmF2.8 lens (equivalent to a 28mm on a full-frame camera) with a touchscreen operation and an AF joystick. This pocket sized camera is built around a 24.2 megapixel APS-C sized sensor, has a 3-inch” color LCD touchscreen, a standard ISO sensitivity of 200 – 12800. You can expand that sensitivity range down to 100 or up to 51,200. It shoots video in 4K (but only at 15P) and full HD at 59.94P / 50P / 24P / 23.98P. The camera allows users to switch into “Square Mode” (aka a 1:1 ratio) so you can compose in the format popularized by Instagram. It’s equipped with built-in wireless and Bluetooth so you can get those photos to your phone to be shared with your social media networks. The XF10 seems like a great option for anyone looking to shoot on something a bit more advanced than their smartphone. There’s no viewfinder, which seems a little odd, considering the quality of the sensor. The camera will be available next month and cost just under $500.
Fujinon XF8-16MMF2.8 R LM WR Lens
The Fujinon XF8-16MMF2.8 R LM WR lens is the widest lens for the X series camera. Fujifilm
The XF8-16MM is the widest lens for the X series camera line to date and it’s weather sealed.
- 20 total glass elements spread across 13 groups
- Four aspherical elements cut down on lens distortion typical of super-wide lenses
- Three extra-low dispersion and three super extra-low dispersion elements to fight chromatic aberration.
- Two front elements have a Nano-GI coating to fight ghosting.
- Linear focusing motors
- 11 points of weather sealing and a minimum operating temperature down to 14 degrees—important for applications like astrophotography
- Coming in November 2018 for $2,000
Fujinon XF200MMF2 R LM OIS WR Telephoto Lens and XF1.4X TC F2 WR Teleconverter Kit
The Fujinon XF200MMF2 R LM OIS WR Telephoto lens has 19 total glass elements spread across 14 groups. Fujifilm
The XF200MMF2 with its 1.4x teleconverter will be a welcome addition for wildlife and sports photographers using the X series cameras.
- 19 total glass elements spread across 14 groups
- One large-diameter super extra-low dispersion and two large-diameter extra low dispersion elements to fight chromatic aberration
- New focus preset function—great for unpredictable and fast moving subjects
- 5-stop has 5-stop image stabilization capabilities
- Linear focusing motors
- Magnesium alloy construction
- 17 points of weather sealing and a minimum operating temperature down to 14 degrees
- Teleconverter increases the length to 280mm
- Teleconverter has 7 elements in 4 groups including one aspherical element
- Coming in October 2018 for $6,000
The company has its eye towards additional new lenses for the X Series line. In the coming years the company expects to roll out a XF16mmF2.8 R WR prime, a standard XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR zoom lens and a XF33mmF1 R WR prime lens. That last one would be the equivalent of a super fast 50mm lens on a full-frame camera. As these are roadmap lenses there is no word on how much they might cost, but the 16mm prime and the 16-80mm zoom are expected to be available in 2019. The 33mm prime is expected to be available in 2020.