Color is crucial. So, if you spend a lot of time staring at a screen, it should probably be chromatically consistent. So for situations where you really, really need to have the most accurate color possible, you’ll want a monitor like the newly announced 30-inch MultiSync PA302W from NEC Display. Capable of showing 99.3% of Adobe RGB and 100 percent of sRGB color space, it uses GB-R LED backlights, which provides a wider color range than conventional white LEDs, and uses 44% less power than comparable CCFLs.
The MultiSync PA302W is a 30-inch screen, with a 2560 x 1600 resolution and 10-bit wide color gamut AH-IPS LCD panel. It can be used in both portrait and landscape orientation, has 1000:1 contrast ratio, and 340cd/m2 brightness. There’s a laundry list of features, including:
- 10-bit active matrix AH-IPS panel with GB-R backlight and no-sparkle, antiglare coating
- 2560 x 1600 resolution
- 340 cd/m² brightness and 1000:1 contrast ratio at 44 percent less power than CCFL
- Near perfect (99.3 percent) coverage of Adobe RGB and 100 percent of sRGB color space
- Internal 14-bit programmable 3D lookup table (LUT)
- Comprehensive input panel, including DisplayPort, mini-DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI-D
- Built-in USB hub (2 up, 3 down) with DisplaySync Pro to control two computers with only one keyboard and mouse
- 4-way ergonomic stand (150mm height-adjust with locking base, tilt, swivel and pivot) with quick-release capability
- AmbiBright™ ambient light sensor, which automatically adjusts the displays’ brightness based on external lighting conditions
- SpectraViewII Color Calibration Solution, which includes software and colorimeter to provide automated monitor matching and calibration for accurate, consistent and repeatable color performance (included with PA302W-BK-SV and PA302W-SV)
- Optional accessories, which include a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (PA-MDP-CABL) for connecting devices using Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt technology, display hood (HDPA30-2), SpectraViewII software (SVIISOFT), NEC custom colorimeter (MDSVSENSOR3), complete SpectraViewII Color Calibration Solution (SVII-PRO-KIT) and 2W USB sound bar (SOUNDBARPRO)
The basic model will set you back $2,499, and that price will climb to $2,649 if you want the version that comes with a calibrator. Both are available in black or white, and should be available this month.