Helpful design concepts that can be applied to the composition of your photos:
• Simplify content.
• Vary the use of horizontal and vertical formats.
• Limit static compositions by placing the main subject off-center.
• Create balance or tension by arrangement of tone within the frame.
• Explore alternative vantage points from which to view the subject.
• Arrange lines within the frame to reinforce or express feeling and to guide the viewer through the image.
Adapted from Digital Photography Essential Skills by Mark Galer (focal press, 2008; $30)_