Newborn babies are not going to smile when you say cheese but you can still capture their wonderful newborn beauty with a few simple tips.
1. Try to use natural light when possible.** Use the light from a window or doorway instead of a flash when possible. By turning the baby’s eyes towards the open light you will create catch lights in the eyes. If you must use a flash bounce it off of something instead of firing the flash directly at the newborn. If you are using a camera with a built in flash use a piece of tissue over the flash to diffuse the light.
2. Newborns don’t move around a lot so you will need to get down on their level. You can also prop them up in a bouncy chair with a simple blanket under them instead of the busy patterns that often are on the chair, be sure to strap them too. Another great way to capture their little faces while upright is to have someone hold the baby so the baby’s face is just over their shoulder and photograph from behind the person holding them. Make note of times when the baby is calm and try to use this time to make photographs.
3. Watch your backgrounds, and keep them uncluttered. Try different angles and perspectives.
4. Don’t be afraid to get close-ups.
5. Remember to show details like their hands and toes.** Include something for scale like the baby’s hand gripping someone’s finger.
6. Include the special people in their life in some photographs.
7. Keep the camera handy, sometimes the most perfect expression may come when you least expect it.
8. Most important: be flexible.**