The John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation announced the recipients of it Fellowship grants for 2008. Among the 190 awards, seven went to photographers. Go here for the complete list of winners. These are the photographer recipients:
1. Michael Berman, artist and photographer, San Lorenzo, New Mexico.
2. Elijah Gowin, photographer and Assistant Professor of Art and Art Histroy, University of Missouri, Kansas City, Missouri.
3. Builder Levy, photographer, New York City.
4. Fredrik Marsh, photographer and Senior Lecturer in Art, Otterbein College, Columbus, Ohio. (The image above is by Marsh.)
5. Greg Miller, photographer, Coventry, Connecticut.
6. Ardine Nelson, photographer and Associate Professor, Department of Art, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio.
7. David J. Taylor, photographer and Associate Professor of Photography, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico.
If you noticed that Columbus, Ohio was well reprsented among the winners, you're right, but it gets better: Ardine Nelson and Fredrik Marsh have been life partners for 27 years.
According to the Guggenheim Foundation, the 190 winners were chosen from a group of 2,600 applicants.--David Schonauer